farse_sm.jpg EneryVIII.jpg

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Strut, Stride, Sing

There's this record, right - don't know what it is called, don't know the name of the band - but its been playing on KROQ for a couple months, which makes it new by their standards (they don't play many new records on "The World Famous KROQtm", but when they do, they play them to death forever.)

Anyway: the song. That song. Don't know what it is called, don't know the name of the band. Were it up to me, the band would be called Princess!!!, and its lead singer Freddie Quicksilver or somesuch. I'd tell their lead guitarist - Brian September - that the thing he knows is missing from his sound but can't-quite-put-his-finger-on is called a tanner, a sixpence, and that he needs to find one and use instead of a plastic pick. A dime would do, I suppose, but a tanner would be more authentic.

Does that help?

Thing is, this nameless driveled creepcringe song, I hate it; but like home-alone teenage boobies to the scratchings of a midnight basement, I find myself horribly, irresistably, drawn to it:

Hello?... Is anyone down there?...


Don't know what it's called, but I've never heard a song that so desperately needed to be a 70's Rock Anthem. No-bodee will take meee ali-iiiiive or maybe a theme for children's adventure cartoon, like "Marine Boy" or "Fascist Avengers" You and I must fight for our ri-iiiiights or no - not cartoon, but THIS!:

I'm thinking it's a dim shade of a theme long past - You've got to fight for what you want! - that has been caught and clasped in a bawdy new bunnet, then hurled oot the radio towards the unsuspecting Old Folks?

But why?

Has the clock expired on that particular void in the pososphere? Is it that time again, already?

I don't think I want to know.


TOO LATE: the band is Muse. The song is "Knights of Cydonia".

Could be a pisstake - I just don't know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Whisky Prajer said...

"Six minutes and one second of pure genius" say the Brits. I shall have to hunt down an mp3 file. I'd guessed you were referring to Wolfmother, who want to be the next LedZep, thus positioning themselves as the next White Stripes. To the entire racket, I can only say, "meh."

8:03 AM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

It isn't Wolfmother - I know their sound - but thanks for reminding me what the puss part was in "Wolfpuss, or sumpthin", which is the best I could tell my wife the other day when we heard them on the radio too - right after "Knights of Cydonia", as it happens.

And that's how I found out who they were - that one time in twenty million where a KROQ deej mentions the name of a song or of a band after it plays.

I can't stand Wolfpuss either.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home