farse_sm.jpg EneryVIII.jpg

Friday, February 23, 2007

I'll never ever learn

Never seen Wiktionary before.

I should look things up before I type anything anywhere. Lord knows I've told myself this often enough, but of course I never will. The older I get, the more I realize just how full of crap my schoolteachers were. Another childhood certainty vanquished this afternoon. And precisely one moment too late.

We were always taught that there were never Kings of Scotland, only Kings of Scots: they ruled the people, never the land itself. Thus the origin of the Moot Hill at Scone, where the ancient kings were crowned. A noble would swear his allegiance to the new monarch standing on a mound of his own earth.

Turns out they've been claiming the country as there own since before the Union of Crowns! The bastards.

I'll get me coat, as they used to say on television.