farse_sm.jpg EneryVIII.jpg

Friday, September 30, 2005

Dusty Trails

TopangaFireSm.jpg E'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING to Vegas today, sometime after I've endured some more physical therapy. Very Eddie Izzard, this doctor: Now I'm gonna crack your back! <CRACK!> Four places. Little apprehensive about leaving now that the wind has reversed direction: but we figure it's already burnt most of the stuff on this side of the Simi Hills, so it's unlikely to jump over the freeway then burn all the way up here.

Famous last words.

You [and I] can keep an eye on its progress Here, if you're interested. You won't be, I'm sure - but I will, and this is an easy way for me to find the link while I'm laptopping in LV.

We're going to a wedding this time, not to gamble. First Vegas wedding we've been to. I disqualify our own on account it was not so much a wedding as a marriage, held in the back of a cab in the Drive-Thru Tunnel Of Love. The same cab, I might add, that drove us from the airport to the Clark County Registry Office. By the time we'd obtained the marriage license, our driver was sitting at the front of the line. That is Romance for you, right there!

The mannie cometh this morning to inspect our kitchen cabinetry, which arrived Wednesday and is boxed across our kitchen space. They're not installing it yet, of course - have to wait another "7-10 business days" before they'll do that. Just goes on and on and oooooon, this. Delay gives them time to correct anything wrong with the delivered goods, they say.

Dangit, now I need to dig-out my suit. Where the hell'd I put it?...

7 Comments:

Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

I though you'd be a wearin' o'tha kilt? Less the tighty whities, of course in true tradition.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

Oh, I listened to a report on NPR this morning while driving to work about the wildfires near Simi Valley and I immediately thought of you. That's what bloggers do, worry for friends. Not much else I can do...

7:34 AM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

Thanks for your concern, Pattie - the only time we were threatened was Wednesday, and that only vaguely. I'm pretty sure we'll find our house still here when we come back: would not be going if we thought otherwise.

The firefighting has been heroic - watching it on TV, seventy-foot flames at neighborhood backyards all fought off. Only one home has been lost, which is absolutely remarkable given the ferocity and scale of the thing.

As for my kilt, alas it is nowadays a plaything for kidlings: one of my sons wears it to school every so often, as part of his post-goth neo-Elmo scots-jewish individualist outfit.

it's fate was sealed last year, after I discovered that the last hole on the last strap had at last been defeated by girth. Not bad going though - that was my wedding dress twenty-one years ago, and upto then I could still fit in it!

8:15 AM  
Blogger DarkoV said...

How are things in your neighborhood now that you're back? Personally, I'm surprised folks out there done't have their own personal water supply and fire hose at perpetual readiness.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

As far as I can tell, and since there is nothing about it on this morning's news, I guess the fires are out round here? I don't think they lost any more houses either.

I wrote a short piece last night, but Blogger ate it unsaved. Ah well - y'get what ya pay for.

Fire, Flood, Quake, and Slide - California's four seasons.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always seem to be on the move, never settled, always going somewhere.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

...And that somewhere always seems to be "Las Vegas", eh?

Couldn't get out of this trip - though we are absolutely totally Vegas'ed-out this year, and I doubt she'll get the bug again until Feb or maybe even March.

Besides, Mr Stay-at-home-Esque - aren't you calling from London?

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home