farse_sm.jpg EneryVIII.jpg

Monday, June 13, 2005

Administrative Notes

Trying something new, which I may or may not keep. I never complain about Blogger, which is after all a totally free service, and you get what you pay for. I have never had any trouble with it. But sometimes I wish I could split my longer posts into two parts - an introduction and a "Read more..." follow-up.

Blogger provides a trick to do this, but it is not very discriminating. The "Read more..." link will now appear at the bottom of every page regardless of whether there is, in fact, More to read?

I'm giving it a shot, starting today. Please accept my apologies should you clicky but find no more Bearded hidden thereunder.

- The Mgt.

Here's the deal. When there really is more to read, I'll bracket invisible portions like so:
<snip>...
Yes, even this post.
</snip>
That okay?

Bugger. Now I'm compelled to waste hours finagling with line-breaks and formatting, and I'm really busy too. Damn.

5 Comments:

Blogger DarkoV said...

Well, this snip snip sounds too much like that "v" word that has every guy crossing his legs and doing the crab walk. Hope that snipping doesn't deprive your entries of their manliness. Don't want to be shooting blanks.

12:59 PM  
Blogger M said...

Snip snip reminds me of how my father used to describe the walking style of some snobby superior from out of town visiting his office. He would accompany that explanation by showing a hand movement so that the palms of each hand were rubbing against each other in a criss-cross way and thus making that 'snip snip' sound. All while wrinkling his noise and emulating a slightly female voice.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

Well that tears it then: I'm going to have to come up with something else, something a little less reminiscent of Head Eunuch looking to enlarge the Palace Household.

Suitably horrified, there'll be no more snipping.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Shuggy said...

Ah - I've wondered how you do that. Do you just put those tags you mentioned round the bit you want to conceal?

9:40 AM  
Blogger Xenoverse said...

There's three parts to it, Shug: there are some lines you need to add to your style sheet, which is contained in your Blogger template; then there is a line-or-two you add to the bloggy part of your template that includes the Link, and lastly there are span tags that you surround the hidden parts with.

If you sign into blogger and hit "Help", the full trick is explained under the "Blogger Hacks" section.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home