farse_sm.jpg EneryVIII.jpg

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Take Me Out To The Dodgahs... again

Yay - tickets for tomorrow's ball game, Dodgers v. Angels: slightly mixed feelings because I have a soft-spot for the Angels, but hey - this is war. Screw 'em.

Off to buy me a Dodger shirt and hat.


LATER: Dang! The only sports store in Simi - Big Five - they don't sell Dodger paraphernalia. What kind of sports store is that?

Now that I think about it, I have to ask: is it just me, or is it generally true that US sports franchises - who thrive upon merchandising and other collateral doo-dahs to fill their coffers, who go to extreme lengths to ream money out of every conceivable corner - that these same franchises have totally missed-out on the Shirt Swindle?

No idea what I'm talking about?

It runs like this: a typical british or european soccer club will produce at least two new shirts - strips we prefer to call them - two new-design strips every single season, complete with chest advertising, one Home, one Away. Then they sell them for $60+ a pop in the sure and certain knowledge that all ther fans will by themselves and their kids new strips every season? It's a cow that keeps on milking, season after season?

Now, I know the Dodger franchise here charges upwards of $60 for a Dodger T-shirt or whatever, but they do not, so far as I know, re-design the strips every season.

Or do they? You tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home